Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2016

SCRAP!

 Do you find yourself overwhelmed with scraps of fabric you can't even think about throwing out?  You are far from alone and while they can get overwhelming, there are ways you can control the chaos until you use them.

Storage for scraps can be accomplished in a whole variety of ways that make them easier to pull out and use.  I have a series of 'bins'.  On my cutting table I have two small baskets that I toss scraps into.  One is for larger pieces, the other for 'bits'.  The 'bits' are so small they cannot be sewn together in a traditional manner, I call them schnibbles.  Here is an example what I do with those schnibbles after I've assembled them into new, useable "whole cloth".  The pockets on the front of this purse have been made with the schnibbles whole cloth.

The process is really easy!  But that's a blog for another day.


Once those bins on the cutting table get full I love them to larger storage containers with lids.  Now, if you prefer, you can sort them by color or even by genre (children, holiday, batiks etc) if that will make you more likely to pull them out and use them.

In my next blog I'll show you some things you can make from 'whole cloth' made from scraps you sew together and how to accomplish those sections of 'whole cloth' .  You will love the process, it's mindless fun and feeds your need to make sure nothing is wasted!  

See you soon 

No comments: